Friday, October 11, 2013

York, Maine, Cliff Path


One of my favorite local places ... the Cliff Path in York, Maine.

Have you ever been? If not you really should go next time you're in the area. It's beautiful anytime of year but there's something about early Autumn that I love. The air seems a bit crisper, the water a bit bluer, and the Cormorants are just starting to head south in large formations.  


The path twists and turns along rocks, buildings, gates, and rocky shores. In total it probably takes only about 10 minutes to walk the whole way, but it's 10 minutes of discovery and bliss.



Part of the path is concrete, part of it rocks, and part of it dirt. At about this point it seemed like the perfect place to stop, sit down, and look out towards the ocean for a few minutes. 

It's like the old saying ... 'The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea' ~ Isak Dinesen

Whenever I need peace of mind it's to the ocean I go 

As I sat on the rocks I thought about my close friend, Carrie, who had to move back to the mid-west. I know she wishes she could come home to New England and when the time is right she will. Sitting with my shoes off, looking out over ocean, breathing in the salty air, and loving the view, she was right there in my heart. 







Spectacular New England style home is what you'll see out on the point 



I can't help but wonder if they ever actually use their hammock that overlooks the ocean




At the end of the path you can choose to either go back the way you came, or take the long way and head up a grassy knoll towards the road. I generally like to take the road because I love looking at the beautiful homes and gardens. 

The apples were lying in a driveway I walked passed.  Seeing as how the apples were all still perfectly intact, it left me to assume the house was probably just a summer/week-end residence. 





Love the ornamental grass in these window boxes! Talk about low maintenance! Next year it could be an option for my own. Of course I'd have to add a flower into the mix. Something light and airy. Any suggestions?



So glad I chose to take the sidewalk back to the car ...




A tender moment





Hydrangeas only seem to grow more beautiful with time








I hope your Fall is a beautiful one. Here in New England the weather couldn't be more perfect. Day after day of sunshine, with temperatures in the 60's to low 70's. Nights are crisp and perfect for sleeping. 

This past Wednesday my husband and I spent the afternoon in Wolfboro, NH. I'd hoped to capture some great foliage pictures but was left somewhat disappointed by the color remaining on the trees. Still, I'll have to look at my memory card and see what I came up with. 

Have a great week-end! 




19 comments:

Country Girl said...

Reading this post and looking at these spectacular images has lifted my heart, Sharon. York is exactly 7 hours from my home. I wish I could blink myself there!

Susan said...

Sharon, your photos are joyous----Every single one of them
was a feast for the eyes!

Have never been to that part of Maine but I'd like to go. Susan

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a beautiful place to visit and relax! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos. I always enjoy the photos you take and share of your part of the country.
Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I want to be there. I could live by the ocean, but a much smaller house would have to do on our budget... :) So far the fall color is not enlightening here in Virginia either. I'm wondering who did get color this year?

Pamela Gordon said...

I so enjoyed this beautiful walk along the beach in York. I guess I'll have to find it on the map and try the walk if we're ever in that area. Gorgeous photos! Enjoy the weekend. Pamela

Pamela Gordon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Lovely walk in Maine!

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a beautiful place to spend some time. My favourite shot was the apples on the road.

Custom Comforts said...

Just beautiful Sharon ~ as always. The path beside the ocean reminds me of a scene from a movie, but can't remember which one right now. And that hammock looks totally inviting.
We've had a perfect fall too with very little rain. Beautiful sunny days about 10 degrees warmer than yours, but the cold is coming in on Wednesday. Happy fall Sharon.
Cindy

Marianne said...

It's so nice to see you - and your beautiful photos again!

Sheilagh said...

Well you certainly cheered up a grey and miserable day over here in the UK. Your photographs are a breath of fresh air, your mention of Wolfboro brought back many happy memories for me. We spent a day there three years ago and loved every minute. I hope to go back to New England again sometime soon. But until then your photographs will more than satisfy my hunger for the beauty that is New England.

Thanyou so much

Sheilagh
xxx

Jan's camera said...

Hi Sharon,

I went there last weekend while I was in York. It was a wonderful walk. Sadly it was gray and overcast that day. I will plan to go back another day when it is sunny. Your photos are so beautiful.

Gayle said...

What a delightful walk. We have one that is similar and it overlooks the Pacific and La Jolla. Your photos are beyond delightful!

Donna said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your pictures and posts inspire me!

Georgianna said...

Hi Sharon,

I well remember your beautiful photographs from this area from past years. It's a wonderful location that I'd love to walk one day. Our foliage is about at its peak right now and we have a sunny weekend coming up so I hope to break away from the computer for a bit!

Have a great weekend.

G

Lynda said...

You've captured the beauty so well, Sharon! It looks very peaceful and tranquil. xo

SueH said...

Thank you for letting me re-live my summer holiday a few weeks ago with these wonderful pictures! I remember a late-afternoon stroll along the coast from Perkins Cove.....sheer bliss! :-)

SueH (I Refuse To Go Quietly!)

El said...

I hope you're having a lovely fall. Your pictures are glorious!

Anonymous said...

I just popped over from "A Glowing Ember" to say Hi and let you know I'm your newest follower... after all we are both in New England...! I love going to York Maine and you captured it all perfectly on your camera! Look forward to new posts and visits!
Hugs from your neighbor up in Harrisville, New Hampshire,
Beth P