Sunday, August 12, 2012

Saturday trip to the Farmers Market


Here it is, August, and I just finally went to my first Farmers Market of the summer! 

The day was warm, the sun was shining, the iced coffee was out of this world, and the variety of fruit, vegetables, & flowers were outstanding.  The coffee was so good in fact that I may have to go back this week just to find out the secret!





Applecrest Farm's Peach Festival is fast approaching. Very seldom do I go there though as the fair-like atmosphere doesn't appeal to me. But it is a nice place to visit when the kids go back to school ; )



TCC: Totally Cool Carrots



I shouldn't say it but I really dislike this picture of me. I have a thing about standing up straight. Plus I'm squinting. But at the same time ... whatever!

My daughter looks relaxed and happy though! Her usual demeanor. 




Tonight we had Blue Fingerlings with dinner. First I microwaved them in a bowl with water, then cut them up, threw them in a frying pan with butter, salt, pepper, basil, & rosemary, and fried them up to a light crisp on the outside. Excellent!

My husband was craving some of the cooked food at the farmers market because ... ahhhh .... it smelled SO good! Instead he just had coffee and ate lunch at home. 




Speaking of my husband ... this is him buying a huge onion. What we will ever do with it I have no idea. He thought they looked excellent though so home one came with us! He is officially in charge of cooking dinner the night we use the onion!




Look at all that fresh, local flavor! And oh how I love the Limelight Hydrangeas! If only there were a little more room in my garden to plant one. 

Have you been to the Farmers Market this summer? If so, are there particular items you always buy?



17 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Sharon, don't you LOVE farmers markets? They are the best. Loved your photos, too! You look adorable and so does your girl. Susan

Jayne said...

I've not been to a farmer's market in forever. Thanks for taking us along to see all the glorious offerings! BTW, you don't take a "bad" photo girlfriend! Love the hair color too!

Country Girl said...

Love farmer's markets but we don't have one as nice as this around here. No, I don't particularly like that photo of you either for the same reasons you don't. Not to be unkind, but I've seen beautiful photos of you and you are right - great one of your daughter! Enjoy your week, Sharon. Jealous of your blue potatoes and that giant onion!! Ha.

Stephanie said...

It looks terrific! I wish we had one like that near here! But we do have a great little farm I love that we get the best produce at. And if you haven't tried purple peppers - do! they are delicious in a salad!

Jan's camera said...

Hi, I love your dress. I love photographing fruits and vegetables. They are so colorful

Unknown said...

Your photos remind me that I haven't been to a farmer's market this summer and I'd better get there before summer is gone!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I just adore going to farmers markets. I'm going this Thursday in So. Portland. I'm planning my dinner around the fresh mussels I buy already!

Your photos are beautiful. I never tire looking at all the fresh veggie and flower photo's I see from markets either!

As for the limelight, I think you should make room! LOL!!! I just planted 2 this summer and they are just stunning!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to the market. I have bought from a road side stand this Summer, and a produce market that carries a lot of the local stuff, but have not been to the big market yet this year. Has just been to hot to deal with the parking, etc. I need to make a trip when it cools down a bit. Great picture of you and your daughter. I don't like my pic taken, so tend to dodge cameras.

The Retired One said...

loved these...my favorite one is the carrots with the "tails"!

Carol Mattingly said...

Love these images. I haven't gotten to the farmer's market yet either. Beautiful. Carol

Pat said...

That looks like a great farmer's market! Those carrots look wonderful, as does everything else! I like the picture of you and your daughter....cute! There is a farmer's market here every Friday, but I've yet to make it to one. I'm trying, though!

Susannah said...

Hi Sharon, Your daughter is lovely! And so are you, as usual. We usually buy cantalope at the farmers market. I can not resist the sunflowers because we did not plant any this year. Hope you and your family are having a peaceful and enjoyable summer. Gorgeous photos!

Susannah

Anonymous said...

We finally made it to one this past weekend...love the farmers market! I always look for vegetables first...you can't beat the ones at the market unless you grow them yourself. Then on to the baked goods...that's my downfall! I wound up finding some lavender plants as well. Always so much fun!

El said...

Nice to meet your family. Gorgeous photos. Love the peaches too. Hope you're having a great summer!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

This farmer's market looks like a great one. Please post the recipe for the iced coffee if they give it to you. I buy an ice coffee every afternoon. It would be nice to save myself $3.00 a day.

Cindy said...

Great post and I just have to say, love those onions! Mama and I always hunted the roadside stands for them. Onions, yellow squash and collard greens! Yum very delicious?

Unknown said...

Have you ever made Kale chips? Being a vegetarian since birth my mom always makes them! SO GOOD! Also, I love the carrot picture, very creative. :)