Saturday, July 31, 2010

Willey Pond/House


A few more pictures from our trip up north.

Willey Pond/House is located along Route 302 in Crawford Notch, NH. I’m showing you pictures but quite honestly they can’t do this historic site justice. It’s truly someplace you need to visit to understand just how gorgeous it is. The pond is crystal clear with mountains all around. It’s almost like being in the middle of a bowl.






Both girls were amazed with the clarity of the pond, and all those little feet paddling were too darned cute!









Scrambling for food because goodness knows they aren’t fed enough …




By the time we left the pond, the vehicle, and all pockets as well as bags, had been scoured for quarters! Once we got home I had to replenish my stash.


She's a good mama duck. Proud too!



Off to the right are the ledges of Mt. Webster, which if you read the sign up in the first photo you know they rise about 2500 ft. above the valley floor.
In case you're wondering, my daughter wore that same plaid shirt almost the whole time we were on vacation. She's like that.


More Mt. Webster



Across the street from the pond sits the Willey House

You can read more about the tragic history of the Willey House here. Once the page loads just scroll to the bottom.






I wished we could have stayed a lot longer but there were more things we wanted to do and see.

See the notch between those two mountains up ahead? That’s where we’re going next! North!

23 comments:

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Absolutely beautiful! I have not seen water that clear in years. The ducks are so cute. I have ducks sunning themselves on my front lawn this morning. They will soon take off for the water. Your pictures are fabulous and the scenery is beautiful. Thanks for taking us along on your trip...this is great. I love it!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful country - thanks for sharing.
The plaid shirt would be way to hot for here right now. Heat index suppose to be 113 today and 118 on Monday. :(

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh my God that I was just there over the Fourth! It's so funny how we keep ending up in the same places! I think you did a great job of capturing the place with your pictures.

Susan B said...

Great Post. Thanks for sharing these sights and experiences. The mountain valleys of New Hampshire are gorgeous. You capture their essence so well.

Laura said...

What a gorgeous place, Sharon! And those baby ducks are too cute!

Anonymous said...

I was like that as a teen with clothes too. If found something that worked for me I went with it day after day after day.

New Hampshire really offers some great places to visit I see. If I can ever haul my husband's hiney out of his recliner chair I'd love to visit it one day.

DI

Carolynn Anctil said...

That countryside looks very much like the area around here.

Carole said...

Totally breathtaking!!! I so appreciate the extra time in getting the pics right. I'm like you and worry too much about how it looks. I think sometimes I don't post as much because it takes so darn long.....and then I think "just put them up the way they are" forget all the editing.

I'm with your daughter once I find a favorite shirt I never take it off. It stands upright before I'm done with it.
xx
Carole

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Absolutely beautiful! Is it anywhere near Hancock? :)

Eve said...

How beautiful!!! And those ducks...SO SWEET! This was just a great trip Sharon. I love that they use the "gumball" machine to sell food! Perfect...unless you're out of quarters!!

Cindy said...

Gorgeous area and great photos. Looks like a nice time. I'm jealous. Florida is great but it's so FLAT here. I want to live up north. I wonder if I could get my the family to move?

I finally took the Benzonatate last night. It only made me slightly dizzy.

Susan said...

Wow, Sharon, that was a gorgeous place. Such pristine beauty. Great job on the photos! Susan

Anonymous said...

Love The White mountains, one of my most favorite places on earth!!!! Hope to be heading up that way real soon! Thanks for sharing!
Cyndy

sebi_2569 said...

very beautiful photo; bravo

My name is Riet said...

Wow, beautifukl pictures of a beautiful scenery and those duck pictures in that crystalclear water are also beautiful.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Sharon, I do think you live in the prettiest place in the entire country. Your bloggy is a nice getaway from the 105 degree Dallas heat today!
hugs to you and the critters...

Kerri Farley said...

Oh Sharon - what a fabulous place. I want to be there!!!

The Retired One said...

Sure looks gorgeous..wow!!!!

Ellada said...

Hello,
I love the tour, that was fantastic.
Beautiful landscape.

Pat said...

That's what I call crystal clear water! The kind I wouldn't mind scooping up a handful and drinking right then and there!

I love the IN YOUR FACE photos of the ducks, and how the water droplets are just sitting on top of their feathers.

This is a gorgeous place, and you've captured it's beauty with your lens!

Country Girl said...

The ducks are gorgeous, Sharon. And that scenery! Wow. Sounds like a good time.

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Just ran across this blog, so much fun to read about and the pictures are gorgeous! Love the spot you visited, it looks so inviting!

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Beautiful spot! How fun it looks to be there!