Friday, July 23, 2010

Cathedral Ledge

Our family just returned from a brief getaway in Jackson, NH. We had a great time with lots of laughs and memories so I thought I’d share some of those memories in the next few posts. The first being Cathedral Ledge/Echo Lake State Park located in Conway NH.

Cathedral LedgeClimbing 700 ft, Cathedral Ledge is popular with those who enjoy rock and ice climbing. My husband had always heard there was a road to the top of the Ledge but we’d never really looked for it. Um, it’s not to difficult to find! Just go to the Echo Lake State Park entrance on West Side Road and follow the signs! At the time we arrived the sun was setting and storms were in the distance. The gate was still open and there was no fee for the (rather short but steep) drive.

CL cliff  The view above is looking north towards Jackson. If you look closely you’ll notice a cloud drifting by in the middle of the photo. It was a humid evening with plenty of haze.

CL view

The drop is severe. Being I’m quite afraid of heights, I kept my distance from the edge, which is guarded by a chain link fence.

CL valley

Clouds laying across the valley. The weather was ever changing with clouds racing by.

 

CL farmView of West Side Road, a wonderful old farm (which I didn’t get to photograph), and North Conway off in the distance

 

CL Andria  Andria, enjoying the view

CL moonJust a hint of a moon and colored clouds off to the west

CL pink cloudThe most amazing pink and purple sky. Below the clouds we kept seeing flashes of lightening hitting the ground. At this point things were starting to look a little ominous, plus it was getting dark, so we decided to head back to the room. What a way to end our first day!   

If you’re visiting Conway, North Conway or the surrounding area anytime soon and would like more information about the park you can click HERE

25 comments:

Susan said...

What a lovely place, Sharon. Oh my. Your photos are captivating. Susan

Karin said...

Such great photos of a wonderful place! Love the sky photos! I'd stay away from the edge too!!!

Becky said...

My aunt has a cabin on Silver Lake and we would go to North Conway. I loved the shops. Beautiful photos!

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Jackson is such a beautiful area. Conway usually has too much traffic/tourists for my tastes...

And those are gorgeous photos, especially the last one. Incredible. I would have sat up there with my tripod and tried to capture lightning shots until it was well past too dark.

And I love Andria's shirt! Where is it from? I'm a flannel freak :)

Elaine said...

Oh I love Jackson, NH. I won a weekend there once and we had such a great time.

It's such a beautiful area. Love all your shots except for the first one. Too high for me!

That sunset is gorgeous!

El said...

How did you ever get that shot of the pink and purple clouds. Gorgeous!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Breathtaking! Absolutely gorgeous pictures. I am so homesick just looking at all the green of an east coast summer. Yes, I would also stay away from the edge.
Beautiful.

A New England Life said...

Actually El, my daughter took the shot. She had taken a few shots of my husband and I so I asked her if she would photograph the pink cloud that was almost exploding right in front of our eyes.

There was another guy there photographing the pink clouds and his shots were much better than mine. So was his camera! I wanted to do some more shooting but my husband and the girls were ready to go. Sometimes you just take what you can get.

A New England Life said...

Thank you ladies! I sure wish I weren't afraid of heights. There was a fence all around the edge so I should have felt safe but thoughts run through my head and I start to freak out a bit. LOL!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wonderful photos! Don't feel bad - I am afraid of heights also. :(

Mary said...

Gorgeous views, Sharon! I'm afraid of heights too. And claustrophobic. lol

Jayne said...

What a beautiful place Sharon. Glad you all had such a good time there. :c)

Kerri Farley said...

Oh it looks like a FABULOUS place! Your pics are amazing! The local tourism office needs to hire you! Every place you visit and share - makes me want to visit too :)

altar ego said...

Beautiful! I haven't been to Conway in forever (is that Loon Mt ski area at the edge of one of the pictures?). I imagine on a nice day you could enjoy a lovely breeze at the top of the mountain.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Your photos make me homesick for my Maritime (Canada) roots. I love the old worn down mountains of the east. Gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing.

Pat said...

Such a beautiful place! I love the cloud hovering over the center!

I'm the same as you - I'd stay far from the edge! Ha!

Great photos!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Sharon - I had no idea you had such elevations in NH. Don't you wish you could have explored that old farm?
hugs....

Carolynn Anctil said...

Wow, what a difference the view is from the top! I love the last pink, stormy shot of the clouds. That must have been spectacular to watch unfold.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Hello - I just found you through another blog and am so glad I did! Your photos and posts are fantastic - I just went back several months and really enjoyed them! I will definitely be back soon!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

lovely...such beautiful color...

so peaceful...

perfect

kary

mormar said...

Sharon, even tho I don't want to live there again, there is so much beauty in NH. My psarents dragged us therr every summe when we were kids, my mother grew up in Epping. It is worth the viwsit, 3 weeks worth at least. Thanks you for the3 beautiful photos.

Judy said...

I love the second photo, with the rockface, and I didn't think you could top that, till I got to the sunset photos! They are stunning, both of them!

Susan B said...

Beautiful pictures. They make me homesick for N.H., where I grew up in the summers.

Lydia said...

Sharon - I too just found your blog from a link and I glad I did! I've been to NH once and would LOVE to go back. I was looking at your older posts and saw that you almost quit - I am very glad you did not. Pictures are amazing!

Donna said...

Stunningly beautiful. Wow!