Sunday, August 2, 2009

Evening in Newburyport, MA ~ Downtown


With literally only 2 hours to ourselves in between dropping off and picking up kids, my husband and I decided to drive down to Newburyport, MA for a little sight seeing.


The sky pictures you see were taken out the car window as we were driving down the highway. When a sky looks that good you know you're in for a nice evening.





Instead of walking directly through town we went along the waterfront boardwalk to watch the boats and sky



A memorial holding plaques on each side listing the names of local fisherman who lost their lives at sea



Looking out onto the Merrimack River





I had seen this building before and thought it was a business, but no, it's a private home



A beautiful one at that. This is also waterfront property.



We popped up into town through one of the alleys coming up from the waterfront boardwalk. What we didn't know before we arrived in Newburyport was that the Yankee Homecoming was in progress and the streets were loaded with people! You can't see it in the photo above but just to the right of me was a food court, artists exhibits and plenty of entertainment, along a couple thousand more people.

City of Newburyport, MA website



North Row Daisies: I took several shots of the Daisies and still didn't get what I wanted, but since I was standing in the middle of the intersection I took what I could get.



Maritime Museum
(link)

Newburyport has some of the most incredible historic homes dating back to the 1700's. In recent years the downtown area has been completely revitalized making it very inviting and visitor friendly. Cobblestone sidewalks line every street along with lovely New England style lighting and cute shops. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from as well.

To view some excellent Then/Now photos of Newburyport (including the Maritime Museum aka Custom House) before and after the revitilization project click HERE

18 comments:

2 Dogs said...

That is some kind of home there isn't it. I can't decide if I'll get out of bed today or not. :-) Hugs

Country Girl said...

What a beautiful little town! So picturesque. And thanks for all the interesting links!

Dan Huber said...

great shots. looks like a neat spot to spend a dajavascript:void(0)y exploring

dan

The Retired One said...

You make me want to visit there whenever I see your photos.
I loved your line about knowing it was going to be a great evening with skies like that.....
so true!

Cindy said...

Beautiful photos and town. I love the then and now photos and the private residence. Very nice.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like you made good use of the 2 hours. :-) Nice house! Thanks for sharing your visit.
Glenda

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a beautiful spot of the world. I'm really going to have to get out that way soon!!

The residence is wonderful! They've done an excellent job of restoring it.

Colleen said...

Newburyport downtown looks so quaint and inviting. I grew up in Connecticut and now live in Virginia and I miss the small, personal downtown feel that only New England can offer. Thanks for bringing back some memories. I also LOVE the Mechanic house too. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had heard rumors about what Newburyport was like prior to the renewal, but I had no idea. Thanks for the link.

Cedar ... said...

Nice tour! That private home is amazing.

Jayne said...

What a very beautiful place! Thanks for taking us along Sharon. :c)

Laura said...

What a quaint little town - did you get out and walk around the exhibits? Love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Wow... what a beautiful little town! I love that house too! I would love to see the inside... I'm nosy like that! :)

The first two shots are amazing! Looks as if God is trying to tell us something!

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Cindy said...

Great pics. I went and stayed with a cousin for a few days in newburyport. The pictures of flowers made remember that all the shops had beautiful flowers outside. Also there is a great genealogy collection in the main library. I have 3 sets of families that arrived in newbury just outside of newburyport in 1635.

Eve said...

This was such a nice trip to take with you Sharon. Thanks for posting. The sky shots are stunning too!

Pearl Maple said...

sigh..........
As a New England gal who has moved far from home, got to say I really enjoyed visiting your blog space today full of lovely images.

Elaine said...

Wow, what a house. You've really captured the flavor of Newburyport through your photography.

Dawn Fine said...

Great shots of Newburyport! You captured the flavor of town perfectly!