Saturday, May 22, 2010

Fly fishing on the Exeter river

Although I don't fish, I think this looks like a pretty decent, and relaxing, way to start the day.










This gentleman is in good company with plenty of Herons and Gulls. They're pretty prolific on the river in the morning, coming in for the first meal of the day. It's one of my favorite places to look for Herons, but you have to be early. In another hour or so all that's left are the Gulls.



Photos taken on the backside of String Bridge

As many times as I've seen guys fly fishing on the river I've never seen any of them catch anything. Luckily the birds seem to be slightly more successful.




As I leaned out over the railing to photograph the fisherman I noticed this House Sparrow nearby, contemplating his fate.

Happy Saturday all! I'm so glad this week is finally over!!

*If you haven't stopped by the International Bird Rescue and Research Center blog then I highly recommend it. They just published a video showing exactly how they clean oiled birds. Poor things are scrubbed down pretty intensely, but it's all for their own survival. Quite frankly I'm really surprised more birds haven't come into the facility. Only 27, so far.

**Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my previous post, Seaside Inspiration. I had a lot of fun working on the photo's and hope to publish similar posts in the very near future!



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your week is over too.

Looks like there are a few sets of eyes on that rooftop watching the fishing action in that 4th photo.

DI

Mary said...

Beautiful place. Peaceful, quiet...

Glad you found it.

Mary

Susan said...

Loved that House Sparrow, Sharon! Wonderful shot. Sincerely, Susan

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, it does look very relaxing .... but I think just being at the beach is relaxing. I always associate the beach with vacation.
And so glad you will be posting more of the Seaside Inspirations ...can't wait to see them! Happy Saturday!

Char said...

i've always thought that fly fishing looks so peaceful

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I have not fished in many years - never really got in to fishing.
Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

Very calming pictures. It reminds me of my brother, who, when he has time, likes to get up early to go fishing.

Michelle Palmer said...

Your photographs are fantastic! Loved this post~

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Such a charming place!

I feel so bad for those poor birds :( ♥

Elaine said...

I'm not into fishing either but I can see where it might be peaceful and relaxing.

Love the little birdie on the railing shot.

Mary said...

what a beautiful place to spend a morning!

The Retired One said...

I love these, Sharon....gorgeous!
I fish, but I don't fly fish...my hubby does...it actually takes a lot of coordination and talent....and those birds!!!! LOVE this!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I was there for a bit last night when the tide was coming in. The alewife are in and that brings the stripers. It was crowded with fishermen last evening. Fun way to spend a night.
Great pictures. I love the fly fishermen. they look like they are dancing with the elements out there.

Jay Albert said...

Great images Sharon! You never see them catching anything because it's called "fishing" not "catching"!

Gena @ A Bluebonnet in Beantown said...

What beautiful, quiet images. I'm new to New England (rounding on the one year mark soon). Already, I love so much about it. Your photos capture so much of what I love about the area. Looking forward to seeing more.

Shelley said...

My hubby & I love to fly fish! I showed him your photos and now the east coast is definitely going on his list! Beautiful!!

LunaMoonbeam said...

Beautiful, as always. I don't have the patience to sit and fish....but it's lovely to see in passing. ;-)

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Why is it fishing looks so much easier than it really is?

Pat said...

It does, indeed, look peaceful. Nothing like good, fresh cooked fish. Yum!

All your photos look like postcards!

The Curious Cat said...

What a life! How lucky he is! xxx