Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thatcher Island Twin Lighthouses

On Friday, I (along with my daughter and her friend) made my first trip ever to Gloucester, Mass. to spend the day with friends, Kristine and Roy, who had rented a house on the Annasquam River. Just driving along 1A and 133 through Newburyport, Essex and Ipswich to get there was scenic New England at it's best.

Over the past year I've seen so many images of Gloucester on Steve blog, Shooting My Universe, and Jay's blog, Cape Ann Images. Wonderful and amazing seaport pictures I couldn't wait to see it for myself: the old paint factory, the large fishing vessels, multiple lighthouses, guys working on the docks, it's all so romantic. I was not disappointed.

Roy first took us out to Thatcher Island to view the Twin Lighthouses. Though I took hundreds of photo's, throughout the day these are a few of my favorites of the lighthouses. You will see more of these lighthouses from a different vantage point on my blog in the future, along with other parts of Gloucester.


Solar powered lighthouse?




A big 'Thank You' to Roy and Kristine for showing us such a wonderful time! The weather was perfect and so was the company : )

Jay left a comment with the following info:Those lights are 133' tall and just about all navaids have solar power now.The island had been known as "Thatcher" Island for over 100 years until recently.It is now "Thacher" when old records were discovered with the correct spelling!

Thanks Jay!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So weathered at the top... they almost look like smokestacks. Lots of sea gulls too. Thanks for sharing since I have never been to that part of our gorgeous east coast.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jay Albert said...

Great photos Sharon! Those lights are 133' tall and just about all navaids have solar power now.The island had been known as "Thatcher" Island for over 100 years until recently.It is now "Thacher" when old records were discovered with the correct spelling!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty! Looks like the weather cooperated also.
Glenda

A New England Life said...

Di, you and your husband should make a trip to New England sometime. There's no place like it!

Jay, I put the info you gave me on the bottom of my post. Thanks!

Glenda, it was a wonderful day! After all the rain we've had, it was about time.

Sharon

Carolynn Anctil said...

What is it about lighthouses that we find so intriguing & compelling? It sounds like you have a wonderful time and I don't see any rain clouds in the sky!!

Bernie said...

I do love lighthouses, I am going to Peggy's Cove in Halifax next week and will take some pictures. I find the Maritimes are very similar to the New England States.
Have a great day....:-) Hugs

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Sharon. It is fun to see how others see our town.

The Retired One said...

Loved the weathered stone on the faces of those lighthouses. Very picturesque indeed...I will be looking forward to all of the rest of your shots of this beautiful area!

Dawn Fine said...

Oh my..I had no idea that was your first time there..
Nice pics of the light house! Great that they use Solar power!

Becky said...

Very nice photos, I will be waiting for more. A picture perfect day I'd say!

Elaine said...

How nice to see the sun Sharon. You really got a perfect day, didn't you?
Makes me want to take a little day trip to Cape Ann. Gloucester is always so pretty.

Great photos.

Laura said...

Your "neck of the woods" is so different from here, and so beautiful to see! Thanks for sharing!

Balisha said...

Your scenery is just breathtaking.
Your water scenes are so different from our river scenes. Love the differences.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

As always, more great photos. I would love lingering at the base of that lighthouse.

Jane said...

Beautiful shots, I would love to see them someday.

Marfa (formula for a life) said...

Lighthouses are soooo romantic! I don't know why really. Maybe it is their association with the ocean and beautiful scenery. I might have a chance to see some of New England next year, perhaps Massachusetts, not sure yet. Its a month long family road trip mostly on the East Coast of the US and several Central states as well. I am so looking forward to seeing in person some of the scenery that you show us in your photos!

Cindy said...

I love lighthouses!! We have one here called Egmont Key. I've never been there, but I would love to visit it one day.

These are gorgeous. Really beautiful shots.

~Cindy

donna baker said...

Hey Matey, your blog is beautiful and the water and boats look wonderful. I'm a landlubber, far and away from the ocean so i do enjoy seeing peoples pics by the sea. I did get up to Martha's Vineyard once then on to Provincetown to whalewatch. That was the most fun time on the trip. Wow!