Friday, December 10, 2010

The Nubble



Have you ever been here?

My husband and I went to the
Nubble/Sohier Park on our first date. We sat there looking out at the lighthouse engaged in awkward conversation for a little while before we decided to leave. Although we actually shared our first kiss in the parking lot of where we worked (romantic, huh?), the Nubble will always hold a special place in my heart.



You may have noticed the new header, above. I shot it late last year, in December. Because of the snow there were quite a few photographers standing around just waiting for the lights to be turned on at 5:00 pm. It was a rather cold evening but worth every degree. Hopefully I'll be able to get back there on another snowy night this winter before the lights go out on January 1st. So far the ground is bare though.

If you miss the lighting in the winter then maybe you can check out Christmas in July. The lights come on around 9:00 pm from July 29th-August 7, 2011. There's more information available on the official Nubble Lighthouse website below.




Looking south towards Long Sands


The reason I went to Cape Neddick on this particular night was to shoot the full moon rising. I was trying to figure out where it would be coming up by looking at where the sun was setting. The moon had to be rising opposite the sun, right? Suddenly I realized I wasn't in the right place. The moon wouldn't come up behind the lighthouse, so I took a few shots and headed for Long Sands beach. I'll show you some of the moon photos next time.

20 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

What beautiful pictures of the lighthouses. The island looks like it's floating in the water. Your header photo is beautiful. It's too bad they only have the lights on for such a short period of time. Looking forward to seeing your full moon pictures.
Pameal

Karin said...

Such postcard perfect photos! Just beautiful!! I'm speechless!

mormar said...

My father loved taking that picture, and passed that love to me. We went several times while we lived there, in the dead of winter when the cables were ice coated, took my son when he visited, sadly he was not enamored of it. I do love the lighted shot. And that pesky moon, it should rise in the east, but tonight it was in the south and it moved quickly to the west.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You got some great pictures!
Yes - I remember some of those awkward conversation moments.
Enjoy your weekend.

Custom Comforts said...

You are always worth the wait ~ what beautifully stunning pictures. I can't imagine what it would be like to live someplace so picturesque. You are very blessed. Thank you for sharing Sharon. If I could hear the waves, I'd feel like I was there.
Cindy

Jayne said...

How neat that they light up the lighthouse and outbuildings for winter! Loved seeing the same shot in the summer when it's just as beautiful.

Phyllis said...

We never forget that first kiss from "the one", do we?

Carol Mattingly said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos. You make my heart ache to go back to Maine. I've often thought of moving there but just don't know if that's possible. Please post more. Carol

Georgianna said...

Your new header is a true stunner, Sharon, filled with magic and wonder. I've never been there but have always wanted to visit Maine. I think I would love it. I looked Cape Neddick up on the map and was amazed to see how close it is to Boston. We may be coming that way for an assignment for a client so I'll put this on my list to visit. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos and special memories. Have a lovely, festive weekend! xo – g

Yolanda said...

These are so pretty . It makes me want to go back to Maine. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Unknown said...

What wonderful picture!!!! I love it! I love your shots!!! Raffa from italy

Char said...

i never seem to find the right place either for the moonrise.

gorgeous shots.

Becky said...

Wish it had been decorated when we were there! gorgeous! Maybe I should say wish I was there now instead!

Dawning Inspiration said...

I've always wanted to visit the New England area... hope to some day. These are gorgeous images!

MaggieGem said...

Love the lighthouse shot... you photos are so inspiring!

Country Girl said...

I love your new header, Sharon. Never heard of the Nubble. Very picturesque spot!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I've never been to the Eastern U.S....this area is definitely on my list.

Anonymous said...

oh sharon, oh so beautiful, mesmerizing, thanks for sharing. you have such talent! hugs for december. pam in texas

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Wow, wow, wow.

Anonymous said...

Thia is a favorite place for My wife and me. We like to stay at the York Harbor Inn. Thanks for sharing this.