Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dreary summer days

They said it would rain, and it did. Three days of rain and drizzle and cloudy skies were rather depressing after such a warm, sunny summer, but we really needed it.

With the storm came a LOT of wind! On a trip to beach one afternoon this week I was so surprised to see a huge flock of Tree Swallows, dodging and swooping over one of the water inlets next to a restaurant.


I pulled into a parking spot and tried photographing them from inside the car but it just wasn't working. It was one of those winds where it's difficult to just open the car door! Plus the mist was falling and I don't like getting the camera wet.

Finally I had no choice and had to jump out of the car if I was going to try to get any shots at all.



The shots I did get don't really convey the sheer volume of swallows, but believe me, they were in the hundreds.

They kept flying down into this bush . . .



. . . they they would all fly back out again in formation. So cool!



Speaking of cool ... I love this sign



I had to take the shots below through the windshield of the car, in between the wipers wiping back and forth. It was raining pretty good at this point so there was no way I was getting out.


Wind surfing looks so difficult. It must take incredible strength to hold up the sail, especially in weather like this.

Today it's a whole different ballgame. Warm, humid, and sunny!
It makes me a very happy girl : )

* The girls and I are headed out to the local Farmers Market. We've also had the good fortune of watching the Blue Angels fly overhead in preparation for the local airshow this week-end! Lily was chasing them across the yard, barking her head off. LOL!


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice that you have sunshine today. We had it but it's raining right now. Sort of a mixed bag, but no complaints from this gal!

DI

Laura said...

How fun to see all those birds, Sharon! Must have made you feel like you were in a Hitchcock movie!

Laura said...

How fun to see all those birds, Sharon! Must have made you feel like you were in a Hitchcock movie!

Chrissykat said...

Rain is my favorite weather so I'd have been in heaven (it only rains here a few days a year). I love the Lobster sign! I want it in my house!!! I watched wind surfers a few years ago while I was on the cape. They were amazing, flipping & flying up into the air! Crazy stuff!!!

Carole said...

I so appreciate all the effort you took to take the photos. They're amazing. Seeing the birds in flight like that and so crisp.
We had crazy winds too but the rain was really needed.
Noticed the bayberry bushes that the birds were flying into all full of berries. Bumper crop this yr!
I came by a few times but kept forgetting to comment. Your always one of my favorite stops...but you probably already knew that!

xxx

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad you got some better weather. We have here also - temps dropped some, low humidity & clear blue sky - Ahhh! :-D

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Evidently, NY has the same weather as New England, because I've been in the same exact boat as you! :)

I love that lobster sign, by the way!

Country Girl said...

What a gorgeous post, Sharon. I love how you captured the swallows and can't believe some of these are through a car window with the wipers on, in between swipes. Wow!
Nicely done, my friend.

Susan said...

Loved all the photos, Sharon. Just great! Susan

Elaine said...

Yes, the weather has been beastly. I must admit I enjoyed the break from the Summer heat.

Good idea to shoot from the car during the storm. We had rain the night of Illumination Night and it really curbed my photo opportunities,
I was so afraid of getting my camera and lens wet.

Char said...

what a gorgeous view you have there...even with the misty rain.

i love that sign.

Jayne said...

How cool to see so many Tree Swallows! You brave girl you... I would have had to really think about getting out of that car! :c) We've had the Blue Angels here a few times and they are so amazing to watch!

the7msn said...

Swallows are so danged difficult to photograph - these are great! (I have an entire collection of swallow fails.)

Cindy said...

We've had a lot of rain here too. The pond across the road has had a few more tropical birds in it lately due to the rain. It's a little overcast today but I do see some blue sky. Home for work and class today. Not feeling well. I think I'll try getting out later if I feel better. Enjoy some of the sun before it all comes back. Have a wonderful weekend. Hope the rain stays away. Love the photo of the fishing boats. ~Cindy

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your photographs. Thanks for sharing.
Lynda in Michigan.

Judy said...

I so totally understand about the tree swallows! Every year, the redwing blackbirds gather in the marsh not far from the house, and I go crazy trying to get photos that show how many of them there are, and how they flock together, and every year the photos just don't quite make it. But I don't see that as a reason to stop trying, and thank you for sharing your swallows!

Chris Petrak said...

I sympathize with the difficulty in getting a shot of swallows that convey the numbers and magnitude. Cameras have a difficult time capturing the occasional hints of primordial numbers.

Phyllis said...

Those little birds are so pretty - great shots of them near the rocks!

I love rainy days...and cloudy days...and foggy days. They aren't depressing to me at all and make me feel warm and cozy inside. I'm not a sun loving girl so much but appreciate those days too.

Kerri Farley said...

Those waves look rough. Hard to believe he could surf like that ~ but I guess those guys are awesome athletes. Cool shots of the swallows too!!

Som mine dager er said...

Yes, you need to take care of your camera. I do not take pictures in the rain I am too anxious for water penetration. But sometimes accidents happens, like when it slips out of your fingers. Yesterday a good friend called me and told I could borrow his camera while mine was in need of repair. He so kind. And now I really need to use the strap around my neck!

Thanks for your lovely comment.

Marit

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I would say you made the very best of a dreary day. I believe the swallows we have in California are a different variety but understand they all have great speed. I am always amazed how they can dive so quickly and then jet up again. I think the swallows we see here are on their return trip to Capistrano!
I love how a dreary day did not halt you from taking wonderful pictures for us to enjoy. Thank you.