Saturday, September 26, 2009

Gloucester Gulls!

I apologize for taking so long to post about the Gloucester Gulls. It's been a long week and I'm so glad it finally over.



Lined up are the three herring trawlers; Endeavor, Challenger, and Voyager, along with a schooner on the end

When we arrived at the fishing pier overlooking Gloucester harbor I jumped out of the car and went straight for the birds. Judging by the commotion something big had to be going on!


I don't know that is was 'big' but in a birds eyes it's about survival. My gosh, what an awful job this guy has.



You can see where the Gulls steal the fish from as they roll out of the conveyor belt into the shoot. I only saw one actually get a fish and he swallowed it whole as the other birds attacked him!



Here comes an immature gull now hoping to get lucky




This isn't the best video, but you get the idea of what it's like. Mayhem!!!



After watching the Gulls for a few minutes my husband and I walked over to the other side of the pier and had a look at the Princess Laura


I'd seen her before but she's still a beauty


Looking out into the harbor (with the sun directly overhead) you can see the old paint factory on the left and the schooner, Peacemaker (formally known as Avany), turning around then going back to port.




The Erin E. Miller coming in.

And that's just a brief moment in time in Gloucester harbor. You might want to cover your head when you visit.

19 comments:

Valerie said...

I had to laugh when you said "cover your head". That was my thought exactly. The poop!! I remember when we went to the "Cave of the Winds" tour at Niagara Falls (you actually walk down to one of the Falls- there are 3 there) But as you get ready to walk up to the deck, where you get wet, the gulls are everywhere. It is a good thing they give you a yellow rain slicker to keep dry with, cause the birds are dropping all over ... every where!

clairz said...

The visuals were all wonderful, as usual, but I have to say that I really liked the sounds today. I could close my eyes and pretend that I was somewhere near the sea. But then I opened my eyes and found myself back in "the middle" and far away from any big water--here in eastern New Mexico.

Geeta said...

Lovely!

It's funny, because I feel like we're neighbors :) I read your posts and think "oh, I know exactly where that is!"

I can't wait for the Autumn shots to start appearing :))

Anonymous said...

Oh ya. Wear a hat with a wide brim! My daughter got pooped on just walking down the street in Atlanta on time... ewww, she laughed about it though.

Di

My name is Riet said...

Wonderful fantastic pictures again. In my country they say Poop on your head brings luck. So don't worry when you getit
Have a nice day

Dog Trot Farm said...

I closed my eye's while the video was showing and just listened to the gulls. I swore I was on Casco Bay Lines heading to the island. Soon, very soon.

The Retired One said...

great shots, as always!! Love the ships and the shimmering water.
Yes, you would have to wear a hat to avoid the bird poo and carry something of your own to sit on, for sure! :-}

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's State Fish Pier in Gloucester. It is a good place to shoot Gulls because they are used to people and you can get some good close ups.

Laura said...

Glad to see they named a beautiful ship after me - LOL! Those birds know where to go for dinner!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great photos and video. I bet they ARE messey.

Jay Albert said...

Yup...we got gulls,or as many locals say"Rats with Wings"! Every so often they get so annoying down at the fish pier someone lights a M-80. When the explosion goes off thousands of gulls take flight. I remember a couple of times there were so many they blocked the sunlight!

Elaine said...

Love those action shots. I can just smell the fish up there in Gloucester.

Hard to cover your head when you're shooting. Better get some good headgear.

Jayne said...

Smart, smart birds! Never miss a free meal. :c) Such beautiful scenery with all the fishing boats in the harbor.

2 Dogs said...

I see your photos and oh how I miss living by the water. I'd much rather wait out for tall ships than black bears. :-)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh the Peacemaker is so beautiful! The gulls....well, not so much. Although, I do think a few of them look pretty that many in one place really can cause a commotion.

MaineBirder said...

Wow, with that many gulls a person needs a slicker and an umbrella!

Wonderful photos and video Sharon!

Dawn Fine said...

Wow...gull craziness! Oh I love that photo you took of the Laura..very cool.

Unknown said...

Sharon, thanks for the visuals and the sound. You realize this is like a different planet than Dallas... I'm so excited I get to come see you soon!!!!
xxxoxoxo

Eve said...

A great fun post! Thanks Sharon!