Monday, July 7, 2008

Beard Tongue

Though it lacks a very impressive flower, I have several Beard Tongue plants in my garden. A member of the Snapdraggon family they are wonderful as a filler, and a favorite with the bee's, butterflies, and hummingbirds!

The flowers are small, dainty, and slightly hairy, causing the water droplets to hold on tight in this photo. Once they have finished blooming I cut them all back to about 3-4 leaves from the bottom at which point they will continue to grow through out the summer but will not bloom again until next year.



Buzz, Buzz, Buzz . . .
By the way, that's Winston panting in the video, not me ; )

4 comments:

Jenn: said...

I love the purple stems. And the way the water sticks to them makes them look unreal.

I could not video a bee. I am terrified of them!

I wish I knew more about flower growing. Your garden is so beautiful.

Laura said...

I've never had any of these in my yard, but I'd like to. I like the way the flowers look - nice pictures - you must have gotten rain over the weekend like we did!

Unknown said...

Isn't that pretty...you have the most exotic looking plants in your gardens Sharon! have you ever grown butterfly irises?

A New England Life said...

I don't like bee's either Jenn, but it only wanted the flowers so I figured I was safe : )

No rain this past week-end Laura (yippee!). I actually took these pictures last week!

No Nancy, I've never grown butterfly irises. I'll look them up to see what they are.