Friday, June 13, 2008

You Know You're A Mom When . . .


If you are up at 5:30 am, with Blueberry muffins in the oven by 5:45, then chances are you are a mom. Or you could be Martha Stewart, but more than likely you're a mom. If you enlarge the lower picture you can see what time I took the picture. *yawn* And why? Because there is nothing else in the house to eat and I don't want the girls to go to school hungry. Then I would feel like the Bad Mom Of The Year Award would be all mine until they come home and fill up on junk food, and the guilt starts all over again.

By 6:50 am both girls have left school for the last Friday of this school year. Next Thursday, the 19th, will be the final day. Today I plan on squeezing in a little shopping time at the mall just for me, then it's off to the grocery store to try to avert some of the guilt.



And so the day begins.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  Blueberry Muffins 

1 3/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
Dash of Salt
A couple Tablespoons Wheat Germ (optional, but it's good for you!)

Mix all dry, then add:

1/4 cup Shortening (I use 3 large spoonfuls)

Mix again with a fork.
Then add:

1 Egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, or a combination of berries

Mix until all ingredients are moist, then spoon into a sprayed or greased muffin tin. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Makes 10-12 muffins.

* For extra sweetness and a little bit of crispiness sprinkle sugar on top of each muffin before they bake. My mom always did and my girls like it too!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh those look too yummy. Did you save one for me? I like mine with extra butter please!
thanks mom!
xxoo
Nancy and the puggees

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I don't have kids - I would never be able to get up that early and BAKE? You are a good mom, that is for sure! Go get a pedicure and treat yourself to some pampering!

Laura

A New England Life said...

I'll Fedex one for tomorrow's breakfast Nancy! You'll have to supply your own butter though: )

Laura, most mornings I am up between 5-5:30 anyway, thanks to Phin and Lily chasing each other up and down the hall ... and over the bed ... and back down the hall.

Carolyn said...

Yum, When are you baking them again and what time is breakfast. lol What a great Mom